A career as a real estate agent is a perfect job for you if you enjoy meeting new people, helping others find a beautiful home, and negotiating deals.
In this article, we will talk about how one can become a real estate agent in Canada.
Part of your job as a real estate professional will be to listen to other people’s requirements, meet with purchasers, and help them find the perfect property that matches their specifications.
The other part includes meeting with people looking for an agent to sell their properties. You will first need to inspect the property, list it in your advertising mediums (newspaper, online MLS portal, magazine, websites, etc.) and show it to potential buyers and prepare documents and contracts to complete the sale.
Selling homes can be a lengthy and complex process. However, with an organized schedule and proper client-management skills, you can make a job as a real estate agent an enjoyable experience.
6 Steps to Get a Real Estate License Canada
Becoming a real estate agent Canada is pretty simple and consists of 6 steps:
- Start your real estate certification
- Join an agency
- Apply for licensing
- Obtain errors and omissions insurance
- Complete a professional practice
- Get your first clients
To start there are a few things you must satisfy before getting a real estate license.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have graduated grade 12
- You must be a Canadian citizen
Some provinces have more strict application requirements, for example, pre-application articling experience, background checks, preparatory coursework, etc.
Start Your Real Estate Certification
The first step in the process is completing the real estate licensing course in your area or province. Each province has its own certification courses through association boards and sanctioned organizations and each province handles certification in a different manner.
While education requirements, courses, and institutes vary between provinces, the real estate license course is consistent across the board.
Join a Brokerage Agency
The next step is finding an agency to sponsor your license application. Our advice is to meet with various brokers to find the perfect match. You can ask questions about their agency setup, work style, and brokerage fee structure.
The goal is to find a brokerage agency that meets your work habits and stand by to a reasonable fee structure.
And since you will work with this brokerage agency for the first couple of years, you want to make sure you enjoy the staff and the environment. If there are any aspects you are not sure about, it is best if you address and resolve them so they don’t become a problem later in the future.
Apply for Licensing
Now that you’ve selected a brokerage agency, it is time to submit your real estate agent application. With licensure varies across different provinces, most require a written exam to get your real estate license Canada.
If your application is officially approved, you will need to pay a licensing fee. Keep in mind that in some provinces, you may be required to pay applicable dues or become a member of a professional association or organization.
Obtain Errors and Omissions Insurance
If you want to become a licensed real estate agent in Canada, you will need to obtain errors and omissions insurance. You can get insurance through the real estate association in your province. This will insure you against any damage, mistakes, and mishaps that might happen while working your job.
Complete a Professional Practice
Upon approval of your license, many provinces expect the real estate agent to complete certain educational requirements.
Usually, this is a period of supervised training or professional practice where the new real estate agent gets mentorship from a more experienced or senior real estate professional in the chosen brokerage agency. You will be like a real estate agent assistant until you get enough experience.
Get Your First Clients
Once you’ve finished your practice, it is time for you to do the actual job and get your first clients. We have some tips that might help you build a name for yourself in the real estate industry.
- Take advantage of the tools your real estate association offers: You will need to gain access to your local MLS or multiple listing service so you can list properties online. It is recommendable to rent lockboxes from your realty association or brokerage so you can provide easy access to your properties.
- Advertise your services: Although your budget might be a bit tight when starting out, you will need to invest in basic advertising. You can start with business cards, property signage, a website or on social media. If your budget allows, you could invest in radio spots, online ads, and SEO.
- Become well-known in your community: We all know that the best kind of marketing is word-of-mouth marketing. This is based on the premise that people who know you are more included to trust you to deliver a high level of service. Even if you have marketing campaigns, you should invest time in becoming popular in your community. You can host a community-friendly BBQ, sponsor a sporting event, go to your local chamber of commerce meetings, or go door-to-door with a fridge magnet or pen.
All of these things will help you promote yourself as a real estate agent and hopefully land your first clients the minute you start with marketing.
A career in the real estate industry can prove to be a rewarding one as it comes with many benefits including the ability to work with a high-energy group of people, set your own schedule, and interact with professionals. If your personality fits this short description, becoming a real estate agent might be perfect for you.
So, are you going to give it a shot?
A career in real estate is one that comes with significant rewards but there can also be challenges that you will need to solve. It
A career as a real estate agent is a perfect job for you if you enjoy meeting new people, helping others find a beautiful home,
Online real estate schools offer easily accessible and web-based classes, designed to help real estate agents pass their real estate licensing exam and gain education